[plug] Cups / Samba problem

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Wed Dec 5 22:47:52 WST 2007

Hello All,

I've got a workstation running Debian Sid which was happily running
when I did a dist-upgrade a couple of days ago. This updated samba and
I believe the cups printing system as well.

Unfortunately, printing from windows machines which was working has now
ceased. I can print from the local machine so I believe cups is still
working.

I think the issue is relating to the new "usershares" in samba because
the /var/log/samba/log.<machinename> gives the following error when
trying to print:

[2007/12/05 17:48:56, 0] param/loadparm.c:process_usershare_file(4582)
  process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/pdfprinter
failed. No such file or directory
[2007/12/05 17:48:56, 0]smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191) poswasor
(192.168.0.180) couldn't find service pdfprinter

pdfprinter is the name of the virtual pdf printer. The Physical printer
(Epson ALC1900) give a similar error.

Samba file shares are working and can be browsed and files, directories
etc can be created, copied, deleted as expected. It just seems to be a
problem with the printing service. When browsing to \\owl (the linux
workstation) from a windows machine and then going to the printers
folder, it shows no printers listed.

The samba config file /etc/samba/smb.conf has not changed, relevant
section is below:

   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = yes
#   printer = raw
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writable = yes
#   use client driver = yes
   printer admin = root
   create mode = 0777

I have been googling for the last couple of days and can't seem to find
anything helpful. I did find a couple of pages with the same problems
but there did not seem to be any responses to these.

Cups error logs and access logs do not seem to give anything useful.

Any ideas or files to check would be greatly appreciated!!

(Ahh the joys of living on the edge ;)

Thanks and Regards,

--

Adam Davin