[plug] Bash syntax error bad substitution

Michael Holland michael.holland at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 16:15:37 WST 2007

David Dartnall wrote:

> Yes, I've got the message Tomasz, (and Russell) but I'm the author
> having learnt (in the last few weeks) enough shell scripting to do what
> I was attempting, from online tutorials which existed long before the
> advent of dash. Your last email relating to this encouraged me to do
> more research on the subject, and
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dash/+bug/61463,

Wow! people get emotional about this.
Even though sh->bash is common, it is "wrong", and causes some valid
Unix scripts to fail on Linux.
The alternative just breaks thousands of "incorrect" scripts :-)

Anyway, I suggest you stop learning both. Who can respect a shell
where wildcard expansion leaves the wilcard as a literal when it doesnt
match?

$ ls
a1 a2 a3 b1
$ echo a*