[plug] vpn breaks home network

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 11 19:46:57 WST 2007

Not hopeless - yet ...

try manually adding in a new route to the local network:
`man route`

the route command is a bit finicky so you may need a few iterations (and
sacrificial chickens) before it will work.

There should be a way in the config to get it to play nicely with a
local network, but I have not been able to get it to work in the past.
I did it manually (twice I think) by manually manipulating the routing
table - these days I have an openvpn link - SO much nicer!

Simplest way when I was in a hurry was to install it in a windoze
instance in a vmware session and allow it be locked - the linux host
comtinues to work normally.

Also have a look at vpnc - at Murdoch Uni the students seem to be able
to get that work easier on linux than cisco's 'abomination'.  Downside
is vpnc does not implement all the features so on some networks it cant
work.

BillK

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 21:22 +1100, Rob Dunne wrote:
> Hi William

> > On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 20:08 -0800, Fred Janon wrote:
> >> "To allow local LAN access, it must be enabled on both the VPN Client
> >> and the VPN device you are connecting to."
>
> does this mean that this is hopeless unless I can get work to change
> their VPN policy?
>
> Bye
> Rob

Home in Perth!