[plug] Eee

Chris Hoy Poy choypoy at westnet.com.au
Wed Dec 19 04:19:54 WST 2007

Got my EEE a few weeks back (got in on backorder when I heard Myers had the contract - we'd been trying to get hold of a heap for the GoPC ( www.gopc.net ) project. Myers sold out pretty fast - theres a whirlpool/whingepool posting about how hard the thing has been to get hold of.

Asus have already announced they will be releasing a variant with Windows unfortunately :(

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/news10192007.htm

which is a pity, the thing rocks out of the boat. I had my Nokia E65 running as a modem with a few hacks to the Xandros dialup scripts (just strip out the init strings and tell the dialer to atd instead of atdt). (Couldnt find a way to do that through the Xandros GUI's unfortunately).

Also, the onboard video will run a 1680x1050 LCD no worries, and all the USB fluff I've tried works out of the box (like external keyboards cos the mini keyboard can mush your fingers when you need to type fast).

Got a bluetooth dongle with it currently - been eyeing off the bluetooth mods from eeeuser.org - and apparently busting open the back to put memory in doesnt void the warranty.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12/10/asus_warranty_statement/

but it runs the NX webclient out of the box and I had no dependancy issues putting the NXclient onto the base Xandros install - although it installs in a rather lame manner (it has a default "user" called "user" even though the "installer" on first boot asks you for your name - wouldnt have been that hard to add extra users, but cant complain too much.

there will be variants out with onboard 3G and 3.5G cards soon - although I also saw drivers and install instructions on the Asus website for putting some kind of Asus 3.5G into the thing, but havent researched whether the card is available yet. Some of the retail EEE's dont have the secondary mini-PCI apparently - mine does though.

//chris