[plug] FOSS condemned for data archival - don't let it go unchallenged

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Dec 22 22:05:58 WST 2007

Bill,

I did not get this from wikipedia.  ;-)

Admittedly, part of bitrot is also the fact that the media you're
storing stuff on may not have a reader that can read it any more - look
at 7 track mainframe tapes for instance.

Of course the media will deteriorate, (unless put into a special field
where time does not pass, which I've just invented, but am having
difficulty implementing ;-)  ). It would be a great help to keep the
application, the OS and whatever else made the backup, including the
hardware.

Add to that the likelihood of just losing the data, as with NASA and
some of the moon landing data.

FOS should be less vulnerable to the shifting of the application, as
where we want to open a Word 1 document in MS Office 2007 (or whatever),
because the formats ARE open and documented and a "reader app" can be
written (probably).

It will, of course, be equally susceptible to the physical degradation
problems.

F'rinstance if we have a doc in whatever format OOo puts it in, we CAN
unzip it and look at the XML code. And we can do that as long as the
media is (are) readable and ZIP and XML exist. Trying that with an MS
format might be a bit tougher.

Anyway, it's Saturday evening and I think we're on the same page,
really, unless I misunderstand you totally.  ;-)

And, yes, if OS were more in use in science, finance, office, etc, the
physical problems WOULD be present, the "what does a bit in this
position mean?" problems would be, perhaps, less problematical.

Regards
RM