[plug] explanation of free software, OOo in particular

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Thu Dec 27 14:45:11 WST 2007

Greg,

How about this one:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org

One word of caution with OOo, while the word processor and spreadsheet
programs are ok, I am ashamed to say that they are not as nice as Word
and Excel in their functionality and UI's.  Sacrilege I know, but as a
long-time user of both since the orginal Mac versions I have to say OOo
annoys me despite my desire to support them.

Unfortunately the presentation app in OOo is shocking... truly shocking.
So much so that I use Crossover to run an old and very stable version of
the M$ Office suite (Office XP.)

For simple word processing and spreadsheet tasks OOo is fine and I do
use them that way for simple documents.

How do others on the list find OOo??  Am I expecting too much?  Are
there simply too few contributors to OOo?  I know Sun has been an M$
software-free zone for a long time (McNealy would shoot anyone who tried
to use them), so maybe Sun's biases are driving things?

Paul

BTW: I was using an Unix-based office suite back when the company I ran
used a MIPS server with X terminals... the name of which escapes me now
but was excellent for the time (1995?)