[plug] Re: ? phishing attack

Richard Yellin rhyellin at westnet.com.au
Fri Dec 28 15:47:29 WST 2007

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:59:36 +0800,  wrote:

> I 've been on the net to shop for a new tablet computer and came across
> a ridiculously (<1/2 price) cheap price.  I started emailing this site
> for details and turns out it's not a shop but an address in England who
> want payment by Western Mail.
>
> I think they possibly have a spybot onto my computer and don't know how
> to detect it and block or remove it.
> After the first two email exchanges went ok with the usual delay, the
> third email detailing payment came within 30secs (at least <60s) of my
> email asking for payment details and other questions (all answered).
> This was pretty upsetting stuff.
>
> I also discovered on /var/spool/mail/root that my tripwire is broken,
> but now permission is denied.
My mail is heavily contaminated with spam.

How do I restore my computer to normal?  Is this  a spyware attack? What
anti-spyware program, that is rel easy to use, can I use?
I want to buy this device in the next few days using my credit card from
more genuine sites (such as  Compuserve or PCSuperTools or PROVANTAGE).
Is the credit card details more at risk than usual?

--regards Richard