[plug] Help! Locked out my files with borked permissions, cannot access

James Drysdale drysdale at swiftdsl.com.au
Sat Feb 3 15:13:04 WST 2007

G'day all,

I am new to Linux, I have a Fedora Core 4 server with no GUI, console only.

I have completely locked out the entire iTunes library which is shared
by the family.
No one can access it, even the owner.

The path is *"/mnt/dir/dir/iTunes\ Music"
*
I performed a CHOWN to change the ownership to JAMES of group FAMILY.
*"chown -R james:family /mnt/dir/dir/iTunes\ Music"
*
Then ran CHMOD to change the access permissions of the files.
*"chmod -R + wrxug /mnt/dir/dir/iTunes\ Music"*

Now no one on a remote computer can open the directory.

There are 5 users, all in the groups USERS and FAMILY.
And the root account of course.

How do I set Linux to allow ANYONE to read, write & execute anything
within the directory
*"/mnt/dir/dir/iTunes\ Music"*

I think my problem was with allowing access only by FAMILY.
There is a strange problem that allows FAMILY users to logon remotely,
through SMB, but not locally at the machine itself.
As a result, the only account that works is root.

But I just need my files back for now, how do I do this???

MANY THANKS!!! :-)

James Drysdale.
drysdale at swiftdsl.com.au