[plug] thunderbird

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Wed Feb 7 09:48:42 WST 2007

W.Kenworthy wrote:
> I'm finding spamassassin is getting less and less reliable at picking
> junk-mail - apparently its SOP for spammers to test it against SA.  I
> use iinet as my ISP, and get them to mark but not discard spam.  Very
> very accurate!  Almost no false positives, and only a few leak through,
> only some of which SA may rarely pick up.  Then I just use procmail to
> detect and filter on the marks.  Similarly with work, where I have less
> control (no procmail) over my accounts, I use filters within evolution
> to move marked emails into a spam folder.  This should be possible
> within tbird, and I assume most ISP's offer a spamfiltering facility.

Yes we use SpamAssasin as well, but the problem that I am having is on
the end machine.

It used to work like this. Through the gateway, where all sorts of magic
happened and then arrived on the W98 box.

Thunderbird took over and removed all of the junk e-mails that it
detected as junk. Filters also removed a series of e-mails.

Junk mail deleted after the set period.

All was well.

All the above still works except for the Thunderbird flagging new mail
as junk. This now has to be done manually. Then everything works as before.

Very, very frustrating.

It appears to be a TB problem.

Alex