[plug] Skype - what it is and what it provides

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Feb 8 17:28:08 WST 2007

The article at
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10422897
appears to indicate that, if a person buys one of those web cams that
comes with Skype, the person still has to pay an ongoing monthly fee to
be able to use it.

I had understood that, if a person bought one of these webcams that come
with Skype, the person could then make free calls to someone else who
had a webcam with Skype, and that this would allow a videophone
communication, with no costs other than the cost of buying the
webcam/Skype hardware/software package.

And, I understand that Skype works with Linux, with Windows, and with
Mac OSX, so that, if I get one of these webcam/Skype setups, I would be
able to have videophone communications with someone overseas, if the
other person also has a webcam/Skype setup for the other computer, and
the OS platform, as long as it is one of these three, should not be a
problem.

Can someone please clarify what is required, and how it works, to use a
webcam/Skype setup?

I saw a Logitech webcam with Skype, for about $100, that is supposed
to give 640x480 resolution, at about 30fps, and I was thinking that this
could be a good way to communicate with people overseas, but I am not
sure now, whether it would incur ongoing costs.

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale