[plug] mv

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu Feb 8 20:40:02 WST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007, Lyndon Maydwell wrote:
> Or keep the binary in your ~/bin, so that system scripts and so on get
> to use the blessed mv.

I'd not do that. System scripts have a habit of assuming 'local' behaviour
with binaries. Don't even get me started about the "bash"ness of some
"sh" scripts. Anyway, keep stuff out of ~bin that even remotely matches
your normal system binaries (and use shell aliases if you have to change
behaviour!) or things may get a bit .. spiffy.. :P

(Yes, this has bitten me more than once on Linux boxes. Ever NFS exported
homedirs across Linux distributions and suddenly find binaries/shells behave
subtly differently..?)

Adrian