[plug] linux-friendly pda

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Mon Feb 12 19:20:48 WST 2007

>From my other post (ie, fires) listers will now be aware why I appeared
to let this thread drop.  I greatly appreciate the posts so far,
especially Brad's account of first hand experiences.

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 17:44 +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Fred Janon wrote:
> >> the latter, but I thought I had read that the palm OS was dead.
> >
> > I was the team lead for 2 Treo 700 at Palm in 2005. Palm is still using
> > PalmOS and there are no plans to abandon it. The Treo line is very very
> > successful in the US.

-snip-

> I got sick of carrying a phone and pda around and have been attached to Palm since my first Palm
> Pilot Pro way back when. We have had the whole series of Treo in the family except the 700's and all
> of them have suffered terribly with (and I won't beat around the bush) absolute shit hardware
> quality. Not one of them lasted even half it's warranty life and the 600 went back 4 times for
> replacement. Having said that, we all know HTC make great handhelds (iMate) but have a complete POS
> operating system.

Thanks for that 'heads up' before I forked out hard-earned money.  I'm
not sure whether to chase one of those Treo gadgets now :-/

Is there anything that combines phone and pda that others would
recommend for use syncing with linux?  What about these blackberry
things I heard about some while back?  Anyone?

> That wound up a little longer than I had anticipated.
>
> Brad

That was a very comprehensive round-up/review and I'm much the wiser for
it, thanks :-)

Gavin