[plug] linux-friendly pda

Fred Janon fjanon at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 22:36:20 WST 2007

The Treo 600 were known for their hardware issues, Palm worked through
them and the 650 didn't the same issues. Palm was very aware of the
problem and what impact it had on them. The subsequent models should be
even better. I met some venture capitalists in the Silicon valley who
went through 4 Treo 650 (broke one after the other) and they still
loved them, simply because there was nothing else like it. and these
guys are not models of patience and forgiveness! They just dumped their
laptops for a Treo.

The battery will be an issue on all these devices, need to cram more
and more hardware (phone, speakerphone, microphone, USB interface, ram,
flash, card reader, GPS, camera, bigger LCD screen, touch screen,
keyboard, antenna (internal, hey, I don't want this thing sticking out
of my pocket!:) ) and all running for a week without seeing a power
plug. The Treo has actually a very sophisticated power management, some
parts go to sleep automatically when not used.

I am not affiliated with Palm anymore and I would not buy one, just
because the thumb keyboard is too small for me, but lots of people
swear by them.

I would be curious to know if any of the new iPaq would run linux,
someone pointed me to a Dev Works article about it but dated from some
years ago.

Fred