[plug] linux-friendly pda

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 13 07:23:45 WST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 20:35 +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Fred Janon wrote:
> > The Treo 600 were known for their hardware issues, Palm worked through
> >

> I love my 680 thus far.. but like the VC's.. went through loads of 650's and 600's..
> The worst was when I was on a 3 week trip in the US, my backup phone was only dual-band and would
> not work on those networks and my 650 went "yellow screen" 4 days into the trip.. yay..
>
> > The battery will be an issue on all these devices, need to cram more

I cant see anything yet I would replace my 650 for.  Its been ~2yrs now
and it has become quite reliable.  The software was quite bad earlier
on, but the latest upgrade is quite stable.

My only hardware problem was a stuck key - bits to fix were $60 off
ebay, and it seems most parts are available these days.  Palms warranty
sucks - they dont cover the keyboard, and want the phone for weeks to
send to Singapore for repair - and $$$$.

Battery life is at least a week unless I am using bluetooth.  I have two
natted bluetooth receivers on linux boxes at each end of the house for
coverage.  Works ok, but not so good for SIP (poor and varying
bandwidth)  I sync over USB as BT is too slow.  I use plucker and
scripts to gather weather, news etc (some from mashup pages on my own
webserver) and have a habit of syncing before leaving for work.
Convenient.

The phone part is very good - I get good signal where the rabble wont
even see a connection - after my previous phones (nokia & panasonic),
its fantastic.  Major plus!

BillK