[plug] Suse Desktop 10 Sound and Video problem

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Fri Jan 5 23:06:26 WST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 21:14 +0800, Jon Miller wrote:
> Since Novell cannot include the codec for DVD playback and MP3 playing due to licensing.  Like to know if anyone knows where and how to install the codec for DVd playback.

The first thing you do (if you haven't already) is ditch yast and use
"smart" for software updates and management.

The second thing you do is add "packman" and "guru" to your repository
list and upgrade all your multimedia apps to get rid of the hobbled
versions that suse ships (for copyright paranoia reasons they don't
supply it with the stock install).

These are some useful links, the first link describes multimedia more
thoroughly.  I know you referred to suse 10, but these links to suse
10.1 issues will be just as suitable:

http://tweakhound.com/linux/suse/101/installing_1.htm
<http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2006/05/how-to-install-and-use-smart-on-suse.html>
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3456783210.html