[plug] firewalling ssh

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Tue Jan 9 00:54:43 WST 2007

I'm personally not a huge fan of Port Knocking - its smacks of "security
through obscurity".

Using ssh keys is much more convenient and secure method of protecting
both your password and your ssh server (its the current basis for access
at my work).  If you're frequently on strange/different machines then
keeping your private key and a known_hosts file on a thumb-drive is a
convenient way of authenticating  both yourself and your server (avoid
Man-in-the-Middle attacks).

Alternatively theres Ajaxterm
(http://antony.lesuisse.org/qweb/trac/wiki/AjaxTerm) as run on
https://ssh.diskworld.com.au :P
(I'll wake up tomorrow to find Bernard has 'sploited my box through this
little gateway - he's a dodgy character that one; heard he was spoofing
MAC addresses yesterday!).

Adrian