[plug] Gentoo on APC cover disc

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 14:32:26 WST 2007

On 7/6/07, hatari at iinet.net.au <hatari at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Hello again, Tomasz....
>
> Yes; Debian and Redhat.  OK.  But I can tell you that I have (or had) a liking for Mandrake
> because it was one of the first to allow GUI-based access to the system and reasonable
> control therein.  The constant package management with distros is what gripes me though.  I
> just think it's about time that there was an understanding of a BASE system that open-source
> builds onto - without the hastles at program installations.  (But then again...  maybe I miss the
> point of OpenSource "flexibility".)
>
> Regards,
> wayne

When I boot up a Windows machine sure it tells me what the security
problems are via Windows Update with the "base" system. But I've got a
version of (say) Adobe Acrobat that is old and vulnerable to x,y,z
security problems. Yet I never get told. Package manager to the rescue
on a Linux box...

Second: if I want to install apps, how should I know that I have to go
to www.adobe.com and download "acrobat reader" -- I just want to look
at PDFs!
# apt-cache search pdf
again package manager to the rescue.

Having said that, there may be a distro that suits you in this way, or
develop your own! That's the flexibilty aspect for you.

Tomasz