[plug] Migrating partitions on Linux

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jul 10 23:33:04 WST 2007

I have just upgraded my hard drive from 200Gb to 320 Gb.

The 200Gb drive will now become a secondary drive, but I want to migrate my
Linux partitions to the new drive.

I have used a Knoppix 5.0 live CD to boot the system, and I am using the
command line to type in the following :

dd if=/dev/hdd2 of=/dev/hda2 bs=512

This command copied / across to the new drive < 1Gb

dd if=/dev/hdd3 of=/dev/hda3 bs=512

Is currently copying /boot across to the new drive  < 1Gb

Things are happening, but very slowly.

Have I used the correct command ?

The next partition to be copied across is /usr this is about 8.5 GB

Can I use different options to make the transfer happen at a faster rate ?

TIA

Regards Arie