[plug] pub files

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Jul 12 00:00:16 WST 2007

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Alex Polglaze wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:58:50 +0800
> From: Alex Polglaze <apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au>
> To: plug at plug.org.au
> Subject: [plug] pub files
>
> G'day All,
>
> I have just been sent a .pub file.
>
> I can't seem to get OO to open it. Is there anything other than MS Publisher
> that I can work with?
>
> thanks
>

> Alex

What exactly do you want to do with the file? Do you want to modify it,
or just view it?

If you just want to view it, then someone will probably be able to open
a copy with a copy of MS Publisher installed on their system (I have a
copy on my laptop), and export it to a PDF file.

That would simply be a matter of arranging to meet, with you having a
copy of the file(s) on some medium such as a USB key or a rewritable CD.

Otherwise, so far, no-one has been able to open MS Publisher files with
any other application, as far as I am aware.

Oh, and the copy of MS Publisher that is used to access the file, would
probably need to be at least as recent as the version used to create the
file. The version of MS Publisher, that was used to create the file,
would probably need to be known.

It is probably best to recommend that people stay away from MS
Publisher, and instead use scribus (www.scribus.net). scribus is
available for Linux, MS Windows, and Mac OSX.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."