[plug] create an avi of a desktop/window

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Jul 18 01:18:55 WST 2007

W.Kenworthy wrote:

> you probably mean vnc2swf - I dont want to record a vnc session but a
> native desktop.  While I could run the apps in a vnc session, its a bit
> clunky to try and do a presentation over a projector while trying to
> record it using vnc on the same low powered laptop ... I'll give it a go
> tho.

I used to do it using vncrec tied to x11vnc (which exports your existing session using XSHM). I then
used transcode to convert it to an mpeg and multiplex in the separately recorded mp3 audio.

There may have been an intermediate step there where vncrec or one of it's relatives or offspring
provided a piped YUV12 output into transcode, but it was a couple of years ago now.

In any case, it can be done and in this case allowed us to give flash looking DVD's to the client
and prodded them to pay their bills (which is no mean feat around here I can tell you).

Brad