[plug] Migrating partitions on Linux

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jul 21 20:57:41 WST 2007

On 21 Jul 2007 at 18:00, Chris Griffin wrote:

> Arie,
>
> when you say "I just had to re-install Grub and all is happy.", what
exactly
> did you do? I used to know what to do with LILO but grub it a mystery.

It was surprisingly quite simple, and it worked.

Firstly :

I installed the new HDD as secondary master.

I then created all new partitions on the new HDD, but I made them
considerably larger than the originals.

I then used dd to copy each of my older partitions across to the new drive,
this was rather slow - so I let it run over night.

I then swapped the cables of the drives - making the newer HDD the primary
master and the older drive was then relegated to secondary slave.

I then used a knoppix live CD to boot the system - navigated to the new
/boot directory and simply ran the command to install grub to the primary
hard drive.

#grub-install /dev/hda

Rebooted the system and continued using Linux as if nothing had changed.

It all appeared to be "too easy" but it worked.

NOTE : It will only work if all of the grub files are located in the
correct directory locations under /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc.

If you do not have these files in the correct location - you will need to
refer to section 3.3 of the "GNU GRUB Manual 0.97" - available in pdf
format.

The Grub installer may have problems with some BIOS' mapping of drives so
you need to know how to specify any arguments required.

I guess I got lucky - it worked first time.

HTH

Regards Arie