[plug] I give up

Adam Hewitt ahewitt at skybridge.com.au
Mon Jul 23 15:32:46 WST 2007

I was not going to respond to this thread for a number of reasons, however I
think I should justify my reasoning for sending my query to the list.

Before I do I would like to point out that having a rant on a public forum
with your business advertised at the bottom of the email is not really good
form, from a business perspective. Especially a business that is related to
the forum topics. But I digress...

I don't subscribe to the off topic list because the contents of said list
are not going to interest me, ie. dilbert comics, questions about ISP's,
etc. I would hazard a guess that a lot of technical people on this list
would have the same mindset and therefore not subscribe or read the off
topic list. Although stretching the definition, the keyboard I was asking
about is what I use to access my linux desktop and connect to hundreds of
linux servers that I do work on. Given that the question was regarding
circuitry I needed advise from as many technically savvy people as possible,
not the minority that are subscribed to the off-topic list.

As it turned out the advise I got was excellent (although none has fixed my
keyboard as yet) and I doubt I would have had the same caliber of advice
from the OT list.

I think that there is a fine line and I understand that different people
will have differing opinions on where that line should be. It was not linux
related, nor did it directly affect me, but the recent discussion of
hardware disposal is one that sits on the line in my eyes, but I thought it
was worth being on the main list anyways. Maybe the rule should be that a
single email (teetering over said line) sent to the list is ok provided that
all replies are sent directly to the OP?

I have to admit that when I sent my email it didn't even cross my mind that
it was OT because in my mind it was regarding hardware that is required for
my linux desktop...so I apologise to those that got offended by it.

Adam.