[plug] Forum Software

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 25 10:15:05 WST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 07:39 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> I thought, from memory, that a forum had previously operated for a
> while, within PLUG, in parallel with the mailing list, and that the
> forum had petered out.
>
> Maybe I am wrong...
>
> --
> Bret Busby

This was my impression as well.  Even Gentoo's very large and popular
forums (the only one I even bother to look at these days - and only when
searching for solutions - I dont look for people to help out there
unless they are involved in the same problem I ma looking at - I just
dont see them!) has relatively few running conversations.  Everything
else is someone posting a problem, and those with similar problems (or
concerns like devs searching for their own packages - seems to happen a
lot) respond.

The basic problem is that a forum requires the user to go there and
participate.  Email is more in your face and comes to you.  you can then
stay informed or choose to participate - much less effort and only takes
a few seconds in comparison to browsing forums.

So if there are a few who want a forum, thats fine, but email should be
the prime method or plug will die - we just dont have the numbers to
deal with the wastage a forum environment causes.

* I just had a quick look at the plug website to see if the forum link
is still there but its gone - and did notice that the next "event" is in
May ...

Billk