[plug] I give up

James Drysdale drysdale at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 25 16:12:00 WST 2007

G'day Wayne,

Yes unfortunately, and can take a couple to a few weeks for it to go, or
so I'm told by the shed suppliers.
I live in Canning Vale, not too far away.

Although about 2 years ago I built a small garden shed from a kit &
didn't bother getting approval. Was just a small "bike shed" sized thing
to securely store backyard stuff like the lawnmower, drills, bags of
sheep shit and other boxed household items.

Here is the website for Armadale Council.
http://www.armadale.wa.gov.au/
And the building section.....
http://www.armadale.wa.gov.au/Services%5Fand%5FFacilities/Building/

I know for Canning Vale that you have residential & semi-rural zoning,
and different building regulations apply.
For instance, in my area all sheds must be built with the more expensive
colourbond material. Zinc-alume is not allowed. They even dictate the
colours that I can have.

Of course there are workarounds...... :-)
I built the shed out of zinc-alume & just had the roof as colourbond.
As the shed is not in view of the neighbours or the street, the only way
other people are going to see it is with aerial photography.
And what they are going too see is a beautiful dark-green colourbond
shed! :-)

But for a large shed, I'm assuming 25m^2 or more, you need approval,
which is what I'm writing up myself.

The other thing you need to keep in mind is what the shed is going to be
used for.
If the council reckons that you are going to use it for an extension on
living space, they will slap on all manner of Australian building
regulations that all domestic living structures must adhere to. Such as
heat-resistant lining in the shed walls, and so on.

When I got my first shed quote, I was blown away by the price. Turned
out that because I used the word "studio", the person preparing the
quote added on all these standard housing requirements. Is really just a
large workshop & place for the family to do messy art in. No living
area, but that is how they interpreted "studio".

Hope this helps.

Now back to Linux..........
anyone got a colour in mind for these two fine sheds? ;-)

Cheers,
James.