[plug] Thunderbird email anomaly

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Wed Jul 25 18:24:58 WST 2007

tim wrote:
> it's nothing to do with thunderbird, more likely spyware or something
> on her. i would suggest she gets her computer virus scanned.
> are you sure she actually sent you the email and it wasn't an
> automated trick?
>
> On 7/25/07, *David Dartnall* <darts at dialix.com.au
> <mailto:darts at dialix.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     I'm running Ubuntu Feisty with all updates to date:
>
>     Email is handled by Thunderbird.
>
>     My daughter, living in Pretoria, sent me an email with a url
>     relating to
>     an article referring in part to her husband. Clicking on this:
>     http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=314063&area=/insight/insight__africa/
>     <http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=314063&area=/insight/insight__africa/>
>     returned a completely different site:
>     https://bagend.mrc.ac.za/exchweb/bin/auth/owalogon.asp?url=https://bagend.mrc.ac.za/exchweb/bin/redir.asp%3FURL=http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=314063%2526area=/insight/insight__africa/&reason=0
>     <https://bagend.mrc.ac.za/exchweb/bin/auth/owalogon.asp?url=https://bagend.mrc.ac.za/exchweb/bin/redir.asp%3FURL=http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=314063%2526area=/insight/insight__africa/&reason=0>
>     which turns out to be very dodgy!
>
>     Transferring the original url to Firefox or Opera both worked fine.
>
>     What has gone wrong here?
>
>     regards to all,
>
>     Dave Dartnall

No, I'm sure it was from her, the information was genuine and the news
article is correctly accessible transferring the url to firefox and
opera rather than clicking on it in the email which opens firefox with
the rummy url... You made me think tho' and I tried another email with a
url in the body which did work ok in firefox. I'll check with her to see
if she's had complaint from anywhere else.

Incidentally, I'm finding that opera displays web sites with frames etc
in their correct places while firefox (2.0.0.5) has some difficulty with
slight overlaps in some cases. Any comment..?

regards
Dave D