[plug] Forum Software

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Thu Jul 26 00:56:02 WST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 17:42 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007, James Drysdale wrote:
> > G'day,
> >
> > I've only been a member here for a short while, just over a month, but I
> > agree with this.
> > For the sake of convieniently & neatly arranged topics of discussion,
> > there would be a lot less interaction.
> > This group does seem "small" enough to continue with email based
> > contact, and is more efficient as a base for discussion.
>
> Personally, I think having an "australian open source" forum which all
> the *LUGs push - including general support/queries/howtos, as well
> as LUG specific stuff - is probably a better move.
>

> Adrian

-1

My initial reaction was to agree with this, but on second thoughts I
don't think it's so good.  If the forum is run by plug, we have to take
ownership of the success or failure of it.  We have to take
responsibility for making sure there are enough "experts" who look in
from time to time to make it a valuable resource to newbies.

If the forum is run by someone like LA and shared by any lug's that care
to point enquiries in that direction, there is the very real risk that
no one will take ownership of it.  If it's not working, none will feel
responsible for making it work.  It will always be a job for someone
else and it will most likely fail.

Regards,
Tim Bowden