[plug] Forum Software

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Thu Jul 26 06:41:13 WST 2007

On 26/07/2007 at 1:47 AM Arie Hol wrote:

>Often referred to as "Passing the Buck".
>
>Most successful organisations adopt the outlook of "The Buck Stops Here".
>
>Let's keep it local, for a moment try and take the point of view of a
Newbie.

Firstly, why do we need to keep it local. Do we have a monopoly on newbies
here in the west? We are only 10% of the population, hardly a majority!

I have chosen to be involved so I can be part of the solution and not part
of
the problem.

It is is easy to say this is what we need, what I don't hear is a
commitment
to make such a project happen in the long term. Once again it falls back on
the few, that are overwhelmed now, tasked with implementing your
suggestions on how to fix that which is perceived broken.

The situation is this, without more willing participation by those that
have a
perceived solution, nothing will change. Can I suggest that if you feel so
strongly about the way matters should/should not be happening, that you
assist the committee more in finding people to take on that responsibility,
or more to the point volunteer yourself to a greater commitment.

So Arie, can the committee count on you to be one of the maintainers of
this forum, if we choose to go down that road? (keeping it local)

That is my challenge to you.

My challenge to others on the list is do nothing, expect nothing! Become
part of the solution and not part of the problem - apathy. One or two well
meaning people cannot do all that is required in the long term, it requires
a team effort. At the moment that team is small but dedicated to change.

We all live busy lives in one sort or another, however, my experience with
volunteer clubs/organizations that the people that have all the solutions
nearly always never take their commitment to the next level, so it falls
back to the over tasked volunteers that are doing their best in an adverse
and sometimes hostile environment. PLUG is not my only volunteer
commitment, and I do not looking for sympathy, I chose to become
involved to make a difference.

The challenge has been cast, the next step is in your hands, should you
choose to accept!

Mark
--

Checked for Virus & Spam by West Australian Networks Internet Service Providers see www.westnet.net.au