[plug] Forum Software

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Thu Jul 26 15:24:29 WST 2007

Alex Polglaze wrote:

> Tim Bowden wrote:
>>> Those are the people sick of striving to be mediocre.
>>>
>>> Do we show them the wide *open* spaces that offer freedom of choice
>>> or do we move them from their existing cage into one that's got the
>>> furniture re-arranged?
>>>

>> Re-arrange the furniture.  Sad to say, most people aren't interested in
>> exploring the vistas of freedom.  They /want/ to be led by the nose.
>> Press button A, Fill in form B etc without knowing /why/ they need to do
>> things the way they do.  If something goes wrong, they stop till someone
>> sorts it out.  They're not interested in having a solid conceptual
>> understanding of why they are doing things the way they are.  So long as
>> they are comfortable with the the quality of leadership (rightly or
>> wrongly), by and large they will go where they are lead.  If this sounds
>> a little depressing, it's because my experience is that the majority of
>> people think this way (well strictly speaking, are this way because they
>> don't think critically).  Those that do have an enquiring mind are in
>> the minority.
>>
> Yes but a lot people think of computers as nothing but tools. We
> shouldn't think or believe that people want to know how a computer
> works. Compare it to your car.
>
> You fill it up once a week, probably don't even check the tyres, let
> alone the oil. Take it to a mechanic maybe once a year for a tune up
> and oil change. You don't want to know how the starter motor works, or
> the theory of the 4 stroke engine, how the gear box or transmissions
> works. It is just a tool to get you from a to b. So it is with a
> computer. It is just a tool to get information from a to b.
>
> So if it doesn't work, you call the RAC.

Well put!  That's exactly how it is for at least 90% of all computer
users.  (I have no research to back up that "... at least 90%" but I'll
still bet it's that high - or more.)  There are also those like myself,
who have been technically savvy and adept in the past (both cars and
computers) but have grown old and tired, and decided that from now on
they just want to drive one.  If you want to attract new Linux devotees
then these are 2 of the groups of people you must appeal to.
Unfortunately, most LUGs are so UNappealing to these people that they
tend to actively turn them away.  Certainly turn them off at least. PLUG
is in no way the worst case in this, but it does have its moments - a
far cry now from when I first considered Linux - well done.  The
remaining <=10% are probably already using Linux.

I think that the forum idea, done well, would be several large steps in
the right direction for newbie attraction.

My threepence worth

Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We used to use and recommend Xandros but they went to the dark side
So we'll soon be using and recommending Debian Etch
There are 11 types of people ...
   ... those who understand Roman numerals, and those who don't!
"Jesus Christ is the centre of everything and the object of everything;
He who does not know him, knows nothing of the order of the world
and nothing of himself."             Blaise Pascal