[plug] Where to get supported hardware?

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Thu Jul 26 17:04:04 WST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 16:34 +0800, tamlin at bur.st wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to buy a new laptop, I wanted to buy one of the Dell Ubuntu
> ones (Inspiron 1420E) but have found that they only sell Open source
> systems in the US at this stage and won't support the hardware unless
> I have windows installed for them to troubleshoot with.
>
> Does anyone know where I can buy a system that is guaranteed to work
> with Ubuntu? Ie. one that has already been tested and all the necesary
> drivers/patches found?

You could try looking here http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ or here
http://www.linuxlaptops.com/ to see who's installed your distro on which
laptops. and then trying to get one of those as well.

Or you could look at a manufacturer whose certain models tend to work
with almost any distro (Thinkpad T series for instance) and buy one of
those.

I also have an Inspiron 6400 that works really well with SUSE 10.1 and
10.2, but it took a certain amount of "tweaking" to get the wireless
stuff working properly

> I'm currently looking at a (community run, I think) organisation in
> the US that does exactly this but would prefer to find somewhere local
> or at least close enough to phone.
>
> Does anyone know of anywhere like this? Where do you buy your hardware?

I bought a Thinkpad T42 and X30 off eBay.

> Thanks
>
> P.S.
> How come PLUG doesn't have a web forum?

Don't you start that as well - the past 3 days 99% of the posts on PLUG
have been about a web forum, and, frankly, I'm fed up with the
discussion.   ;-)

> Jesse

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself
does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss,
the abyss also gazes into you."
(Friedrich Nietzsche, 1878)

Linux Counter user #306629