[plug] Changes to PLUG

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jul 27 01:37:50 WST 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Patrick Coleman wrote:

> Here is the committee's plan to start with:
>
> 1. To make PLUG more accessible, move all events to Christ Church
> Grammar School, the
> new seminar venue, on the second Tuesday every month. If people feel
> there is still a need
> for the hands-on workshops, we are open to running a workshop-style
> event in the seminar slot.
>
> The meeting format would consist an opening welcome and discussion followed
> by two simultaneous talks/demonstrations, aimed at interested linux
> users and techies respectively.
>
> The current workshop venue is difficult for new members to find, doesn't
> present well and is not necessarily appealing to either a technical
> audience or new users. Changing the format and venue will address this
> issue.

My understanding is that the relationship with the UCC, which has thus
far provided the venue for the monthly workshops, has been good and
without problem. Is there something we do not know about that?

Also, from my understanding, the UCC has been very obliging with the
provision of unlimited(?), very fast, bandwidth for the workshops, which
has been of great benefit in fixing prolems that have required package
downloads etc. Has the provision of that facility changed? Also, has the
Christchurch Grammar School indicated that it is willing to provide the
same facility?

My understanding may be a bit clouded on another point, and this is
that, at the UCC, we could stay until around 2300, when solving
difficult problems. At what time would we be likely to get chucked out
of the Christchurch Grammar School facility?

Also, how much parking is available at the Christchurch Grammar School
facility, and how far would it be (how far would equipment need to be
carried), between the carpark and the facility for workshops?

Also, what capacity for sockets for Internet connections, and, what
capacity for power points and electricty supply, and how many
tables/desks, are available at the Christchurch Grammar School facility,
for workshops?

Since the decision for PLUG to now be based at the Christchurch Grammar
School,appears to have been made, this information would be useful.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."