[plug] system burn-in software for Linux - recommendations?

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Fri Jul 27 12:39:39 WST 2007

Tim Bowden wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 10:01 +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
>> Hello PLUG list members.
>>
>> I would like to have recommendations as regards burn-in software to cover
>> memory, CPU, hard disks (incl RAID), nVidia-based video card and an ASUS
>
> apt-cache show cpuburn
>
> Can't vouch for its effectiveness though; not used it.
>
> HTH,
> Tim

I've used this before and it does a pretty good job of flogging a CPU
and getting it's temperature up. That said, I've also never had a CPU
fail the test.

Memtest86 has been invaluable in identifying strange system problems. It
may take more than one run through the test suite to show up temperature
related problems however.

And of course, there's always a kernel make all for that all over system
hammering. Make sure you use -j<number_of_cores/cpus> to ensure you're
giving it the maximum work out.

Adrian