[plug] Sorry didn't introduce myself.

Ashley Jennings fooscope at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 14:30:54 WST 2007

Hi Jesse,

A good place to start with laptop information is:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/   and   http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html

where people detail their experiences installing various GNU/Linux
distros on laptops .

Also using an Ubuntu LiveCD, on the model of laptop that you are
interested in, is a good test to see what works.  You can try it on
friend's laptops or in a shop when comparing different models.  Ubuntu
LiveCDs are available from https://shipit.ubuntu.com/  or by asking on
this list.

Nice analogy about the car. It is not the first time GNU/Linux has
been compared to a vehicle.

Here is Neal Stephenson's take on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Beginning...was_the_Command_Line
http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html        ( homepage )