[plug] stupid question?

Adam Hewitt ahewitt at ursys.com.au
Sat Jun 2 09:02:32 WST 2007

Hi All,

I have a feeling that this is a stupid question, but on a Saturday morning I
can't get my head around it.

Does anyone have any idea how an ethernet link that is set to auto negotiate
can work (at 10-half....with ~60% packet loss), but drop off altogether when
I hard set it to 10-half?

The only thing I could think of is that the other end is not 10-half, but
that auto neg was flapping causing the link to swap to, say, 100-full and
back again...which would explain the packet loss. However after repeating
the ethtool command for a minute or so I never saw it move off 10-half.

*confused*

Cheers,

Adam.