[plug] mounting mobile phone filesystem - update

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jun 3 14:23:57 WST 2007

On 3 Jun 2007 at 14:19, Arie Hol wrote:

> On 3 Jun 2007 at 12:56, Gavin Chester wrote:
>
> > I have a lot of holes in my linux knowledge, so I am stumped by
trying
> > to mount my new 3G mobile via usb cable, even though it is recognised
by
> > my laptop OS, as per this output from dmesg:
> >
> > usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
> > usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> > usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> > usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
> > usb 1-1: new device found, idVendor=05c6, idProduct=6000
> > usb 1-1: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> > usb 1-1: Product: ZTE Incorporated
> > usb 1-1: Manufacturer: ZTE Incorporated
> > usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> >
> > I've tried mounting as with other usb devices such as:
> > "mount -t auto /dev/sda (or /sdb, sda1, sdb1, etc etc) /media/usb"
> > but I keep getting "special device /dev/sda (etc) does not exist".
Now,
> > what little I know tells me that I am on track but have not got the
> /dev/
> > name correct. Anyone got any clues to offer as to how I can tackle
> this?

 Just guessing here - but :

> Have a look in /proc/dev and see if any files or directories have been
> created which may relate to the USB device being detected by your >
system.

The above was incorrect (see amendment below - sorry about that)

Have a look in /proc/sys/dev and see if any files or directories have
been created which may relate to the USB device being detected by your
system.

Maybe that would provide a clue as to "what to mount"

Also have a look in /dev to get a clue as to what may be mountable.

And don't forget to create a directory in /mnt so that you can access the
device as part of your filesystem.

Like I said just guessing here.

Regards Arie