[plug] sed - syntax problem ???

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jun 15 18:04:50 WST 2007

I am learning to use sed on my Windows box (part of the Gnu Utilities
package for Windows)

sed is fast becoming a new friend to me, but I am having some problems.

I am trying to remove some unwanted content from a collection of HTML
files which I have archived from the web.

I am running the following three commands :

sed -ie s/onload=\"window.print()\"// *.html

sed -ie s/urchinTracker();//   *.html

sed -ie s/_uacct = "UA-288334-4";//	*.html

The first and second commands run successfully, but the third command
returns the following error :

-e expression #1, char 8: Unterminated 's' command

I have tried 'escaping' the character at position 8 in the target string,
but the error just comes back as :

-e expression #1, char 9: Unterminated 's' command

I have also tried several combinations of 'escaping' other characters,
but it has made little difference, the char #: part of the error message
just returns a different number for the position in the target string.

It makes no difference whether I run them from the command line or from
within a batch file !!

What have I missed ?

What am I doing wrong ?

Regards Arie