[plug] PC Card w/ Atheros chipset

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Thu Jun 21 17:55:57 WST 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 14:54 +0800, Michael Holland wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Richard Meyer wrote:
>
> > I suspect that the card may be suffering from hardware rot, with a a
> > connection acting up as the card gets warmer (and it gets quite toasty
> > after about 3 hours).
>
> Does unloading and reloading the driver fix it?

I haven't tried - I'll give it a go.

> You cannot test it under windows?

Not easily, no - it's an X30 without a docking station so it's
"challenging" to reinstall windows, but I do have the R&R CD's so I
could try.

> How about trying ndiswrapper with the win98 or XP driver?

I had a somewhat different card (WG511V2) in there that (hardly) worked
with the ndiswrapper drivers, but that was so pathetic I plumbed for the
Madwifi and Atheros setup.

That would connect maybe 1 in 5 times and the connection was even worse
than the madwifi setup.

> Its possibly both: the driver is causing it to overheat,
> so ndiswrapper may solve it even if it is heat.
>
> Mike

Thanks for the suggestions
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt, 1783

Linux Counter user #306629