[plug] Debian Etch, kernel 2.6 and device special files

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 19:06:36 WST 2007

On 6/25/07, Peter F Bradshaw <pfb at exadios.com> wrote:
<snip>
> What is udev. Is it something to do with USB? If so, I should have
> pointed out that my sound cards are PCI devices.

udev is the linux dynamic device creation thingo. Basically the
concept is that when you plug a device in, or when a pci device is
detected at bootup, the device's module uses udev to create the
appropriate files. Evidently this isn't happening in your case, for
whatever reason.

> I have seen that stuff under /dev/.static/dev. However, from the name
> (.static) and the ownership and permision of /dev/.static (drwx------,
> root, root) I am assuming that these device files are not meant to be
> used by user programs.

They're not; my understanding is that the init scripts will copy the
devices from /dev/.static to /dev every time the system boots.
Basically, run your mknod commands in here and the devices created
should a) appear in /dev next time you reboot and b) persist across
reboots.

-Patrick

--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au - WA Backup, Web and VPS Hosting