[plug] older laptop ram compatibility and availaility

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:08:59 WST 2007

On 6/26/07, Gavin Chester <sales at ecosolutions.com.au> wrote:

> > > Are you sure there's only one memory slot? The other may be under the
> > > keyboard..?
> > >
> > > Tomasz
> >
> > Well, I could pull it apart to have a better look - again! ;-). I
> > assumed it has only one and reports that as 128mb ... okay, I took the
> > cover off to get to the easily accessible ram card and it shows
> > signs/markings of being 64mb so I _must_ have two cards. Thanks, Tomasz.
> >
> > Okay now my options are to get a single 128mb to give 192mb all up, or
> > get 2x128mb cards, or even more depending on price. Either way, this is
> > only a spare laptop and I don't want to spend any serious money on
> > allowing me to multi-task on it better.
> >
> > Gavin
>
> Immediately after sending my last post I found this reference:
>
> "Please also notice that 256mb PC133 and 512mb PC133 are not backward
> compatible with PC100 rams. [sic]
>
> Some old laptops have onboard PC66 ram that can not be removed, although
> the websites tells you that you can use PC100 rams [sic], but most of
> the time the PC100 ram will not work together with the onboard ram, you
> must get PC66 rams [sic] or PC100 rams [sic] that are backward
> compatible."
>
> So it seems that from that info and Tomasz's advice that my most likely
> bet would be one ram card is/maybe the only one changeable but it
> probably only safe to consider only getting 128mb PC66 unless I find I
> have two removable ram cards.
>
> The plot thickens ... Now you can further appreciate why I was jsut
> chasing someone's cast-off ram in case it doesn't work :-)
>
> Gavin

What they say works and what actually works can be two different
things -- my own Toshy Sat Pro runs PC133 + PC100 + on motherboard ram
concurrently right now, never had a problem. It is a different model
to yours however, but I should think the lowest common denominator
being PC66 it should all be okay. You (probably) won't hurt it to try
this out anyway...

Tomasz