[plug] DVD burn question

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Sat Jun 30 18:18:33 WST 2007

Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 20:05 +0800, Arie Hol wrote:
>
>> On 29 Jun 2007 at 15:48, Gavin Chester wrote:
>>
>> 8< ----------- snip ------------->8
>>
>>> One last thought: is your dvd drive sharing the same ide channel as yourhard drive?If this is the case - try putting your HDD on to primary master and put your DVD burner on to secondary master (configured as a master).
>>>
>>> If this conflicts with other IDE devices - you may have to configure them
>>> as slave drives and move them to primary slave and secondary slave .
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>

> ...which is of course what I would have advised if Dave had answered in
> the affirmative to my last minute thought ;-)
>
> Gavin
Sorry chaps, have only just been able to get back on the job. Bearing in
mind that the drive had always prior been able to write DVD disks, and
none of our joint efforts had been able to improve the situation, I bit
the bullet, bought and installed a new one.

There are 3 hard drives in my system, 2 on station 1 and 1 on station2.
The DVD drive was on station 2 as slave, but interestingly enough, the
installation documentation supplied recommended installing the new one
as master and changing the hdd to slave. I must admit I ignored that
(and your similar advice) and just put the new drive in as slave,
assuming that if the previous was ok this one should be also. Didn't work!

But it did when jumpered as master with the hdd jumpered as slave. Have
just finished a successful burn!

So now with sincere thanks I can go back to my inbox and read where this
thread has gone with it's new heading with it's thunder and lightning theme!

regards

Dave Dartnall