[plug] md raid with gparted

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 14 09:54:41 WST 2007

Hi PLUGgers,

I have a Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy) system with 2 x SATA drives (/dev/sdc and
/dev/sdd) that I have RAID-1'd with mdadm.  I created unformatted
primary partitions on each disk, and told mdadm to create the raid using
/dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1.  The device /dev/md0 is there, and mdadm tells
me it is happily building the raid.

The problem I have is that the gparted program doesn't see the raid
device /dev/md0, it only shows me the individual sdc and sdd devices.  I
can work around this by using fdisk or parted and telling it to look
specifically at /dev/md0, but I am interested in why gparted doesn't see
the array.

The drives are connected to a Silicon Image 3112-based fakeraid
controller.  I get the impression that dmraid can use the built-in
fakeraid, but I saw a post saying that md is better so I'm using that.

Any tips?

Regards,
Steve