[plug] BUSINESS OPERATIONS WAS VISTA AND RELATED

Scott Middleton scott at terminus.net.au
Fri Mar 16 17:45:07 WST 2007

Hi
Long time without posting.

This sort of subject comes up a lot with SLPWA.

I have often had to make that difficult decision. Sometimes I think I have
given up on a client too easily and other times not soon enough. Recently I
walked out on an interview with a potential client because I saw early signs
of a person not capable of listening. Maybe they knew better but they were
not prepared to listen. After all, why hire us to consult if you already
know what to do!

Documentation is the key.

A few of years ago I was given very good advice from Harry McNally about
getting paid in advance with a new client. Since then I have developed
documentation to protect me from "unforseeable circumstances". Part of my
Terms & Conditions state that I can in no way be held accountable by
"software not produced by me or hardware supplied by another entity for not
performing as expected" or similar. I also agree to conduct myself in a
"proper workman like manner".

I also have an "authority to proceed" document that states my Terms &
Conditions before I will do any work on credit. I have a job sheet that
needs to be signed by the client at the end of every job with my terms and
conditions. One of the other ideas I have (which has been very successful)
is our pre-paid. We offer a discounted rate if clients pay in advance and
this also includes regular maintenance.

All of these documents I have offered to SLPWA for our members to use and
modify.

I.T. is a difficult beast because there may be standards in some areas but
there is in no way a standard with all aspects. If the product was perfect
to begin with then an Service pack would be for upgrades only and not a bug
fix.

As Linux people we have an advantage in that Linux is mostly transparent and
documentable, so it is easier to offer a quantifiable fix.

The morale is: Document yourself!

--

Scott Middleton  (scott at terminus.net.au)
Managing Director - Terminus Network Services