[plug] Help with SU

Phillip Bennett phillip at mve.com
Thu Mar 29 21:46:42 WST 2007

Hi all,

I've had a server of mine set up for a while now and had added it to the ADS
domain here so it could authenticate from there.  All was successful, until
I changed the internal DNS here recently (BIND).  Basically it stuffed the
ADS relationship from the hostname change (as far as I can tell).  I removed
the winbind daemon and stopped it trying to authenticate throught the AD
domain.  Also, I removed it from the ADS domain.

However, now I can't su to root.  It gives me a 'wrong password' error.
Fortunately, I can still use 'sudo su -' to get root.

Can anyone shed any light on why this would happen?  Or at least where to
look?  I've checked the PAM files and the nsswitch.conf.  There's nothing in
any of the logs (messages, secure etc..)  I'm completely stumped.  I thought
I knew how logging in worked, but I guess I've missed something fairly
important.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil.