[plug] Debian broken

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue May 1 13:01:30 WST 2007

Craig Foster wrote:

> A customer "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade"-ed and wondered why mysql-server-4.1 was really loading mysql 5.0
> Sources pointed to stable, and 4.1 is now a holder for 5.0 upgrades :P

I learned a long time ago not to apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade to do that. The
recommendation was *always* to use dselect for dist-upgrades as it has more smarts. That advice has
served me very well over the years, and this was no exception. My problem was related to the X
transition, but the rest was smooth sailing.

I run custom kernels and boot off a usb/kexec combo so there was no kernel or bootloader upgrade though.

I tried recently to upgrade an ubuntu box from 6.10->7.04 using the ubuntu upgrade tool, but I
always have problems with unauthenticated packages (some bugaboo with the ubuntu repos and access
from this part of the world it would seem) so I ended up using dselect to upgrade that also. No
hitches at all.

I've really taken to using ubuntu for anything requiring a user interface these days. I still stick
with Debian for the back of house stuff though.

Brad