[plug] What version of CPU and Linux do people use?

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Tue May 15 19:47:59 WST 2007

On 15 May 2007 at 14:37, Scott Middleton wrote:

8<------------- snip -------------->8

> Nearly all new PC based processors in the last year or so are 64bit
> compatible. In fact the P4 Prescott (F series) is. Most distros have an
> AMD64 bit version and Debian etch was released with its first AMD64
port.

8<------------- snip -------------->8

I have an F series P4 Prescott - and according to Intel's own diagnostics
utility - my P4 does not support 64 bit. (see below)

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility
Version: 3.5.20070314
Time Stamp: 2007/05/14 09:28:16
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: #1
Cores per processor: 1
Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00E GHz
Type: 0
Family: F
Model: 3
Stepping: 4
Revision: 14
L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
L2 Cache: 1 MB
Packaging: FC-PGA2
Platform Compatibility Guide: 04A
EIST: No
MMX(TM): Yes
SIMD: Yes
SIMD2: Yes
SIMD3: Yes
Enhanced Halt State: No
Execute Disable Bit: No
Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes
Intel(R) Extended Memory 64 Technology: No
Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: No
Expected Processor Frequency: 3.0 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 3.0 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz