[plug] dhcp and dynamic ip addresses

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue May 15 22:03:21 WST 2007

G'day all,

I'm almost at my wits end here.

I've got a laptop. It has 2 network devices (wifi and wired). I have a home setup where all my
machines are assigned static ip's with a dhcp server, and I've got bind configured to give me a nice
flexible home network. This has been working sweetly for ages now so I feel the need to break it.

My problem is I either use the wifi or wired on my laptop. At the moment I have them assigned 2
different ip addresses with dhcp, and thus I have to have 2 hostnames for them (I think).

I installed dhcp3 and bind9 and after much futzing about got full dynamic dns working. (Which I
thought is what I wanted). My problem is the 1st time the laptop sees the network and obtains a
lease, a dns entry is created for it (yay!). When I switch interfaces dhcpd fails to update the dns
entry as there is already a lease using that name.

So my dream of having my hostname dynamically re-directed to whichever interface I happened to be
using is a flop.

When I'm out roaming around, I like to use wifi. When I want to remote X from the laptop or run some
rsync backups I tie it to a desk and plug it in (for speed). So what I'm after is either a single
static ip address for both interfaces, *or* a dns hostname that follows whichever interface is
currently active. I was hoping to do it without fuzting with dbus-hooks and jiggery pokery, though
I'll do that if I must.

Any ideas anyone?

I did think about bridging the wifi and eth on the laptop, but I'm wondering about the sanity of
that given I'm using NetworkManager to configure the wifi and it works well right now.

btw: dynamic dns on a home network is very cool if you get it right.

Brad