[plug] Interesting command that may make root access more fun ..

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri May 25 22:49:54 WST 2007

Obviously you should all have your system admin licences stamped
"invalid", or "for Windows use only" :)

You need to edit sudo.conf (visudo if you have it) and remove the
offending lines or set it up properly.  There must be some wildcard
match in there that needs removing.  Could you all be using the same
distro with an unsafe default setup?

By the way, none of my (gentoo) systems do this.

wdk at rattus ~ $ sudo su
Password:
Harm can come to a young lad like that!
Password:
Sorry, user wdk is not allowed to execute '/bin/su' as root on rattus.
wdk at rattus ~ $

This user (wdk=me) does have sudo access to specific commands and
sometimes with argument limits, and also belongs to the wheel group
(which allows access to su in the first place) As su isnt in the allowed
list, it errors off with a helpful message in the log that someone is
trying to be naughty ...

Be interested in knowing which distros allow this, and the reasoning
behind it?

BillK

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 13:17 +0100, Phillip Bennett wrote:
> [...]
Home!