[plug] Su vs Sudo

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed May 30 18:17:25 WST 2007

On 30 May 2007 at 19:25, Joshua Chase wrote:

> Which is better sudo or su? I think su is better because of ease of
> config. Sudo requires alot of configuration which is not done by default
> on many distros.
>
>  Send instant messages to your online friends
>  http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

sudo is definitely better than su - "because of its configuration".

su simply allows a user to change from one user logon to another
(provided they know the correct password).

sudo allows you to determine exactly which commands you would like any
particular user to have access to - without giving them full root
privileges.

I think you will find that when the system was first installed  - the
first non-root user created on the system has automatic access to sudo
capability without restrictions.

see man sudo

Regards Arie