[plug] Su vs Sudo

Michael Holland myk at myk.id.au
Wed May 30 18:24:56 WST 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Joshua Chase wrote:

> Which is better sudo or su? I think su is better because of ease of config.

su and root passwords are obsolete. Even without special config, sudo is
better.
A shared secret is hard to change. With sudo, you just list which users
are allowed root access, and they use their own passwords. Prompting
for password at sudo means that while a 'user' has root access, that
user's regular processes do not.
  I cannot think of any good reason for having a root password. Anyone?

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0