[plug] Spellchecking in OpenOffice

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu May 31 07:35:31 WST 2007

and another slant.  Gentoo does something different again, disabling the
internal OO dictionaries and wizards (no wiz in the menu anymore) and
you have to install external dictionaries - the hunspell packages.  Not
well documented and I have not had a working thesaurus for ages.  Also
seems to have side effects as I cant select user dictionaries and have
them stay selected across restarts - most annoying.  As well, I dont
think the hunspell packages work anywhere near as well as the older
system, but that could be subjective.

I am actually finding I am wishing fo a viable alternative to OO and MS
- but there isnt for my purposes ...

BillK

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 06:05 +0800, Alex Polglaze wrote:

> Gavin Chester wrote:
> > On
> > >

> > Yes and no :-/ My further reading on this topic showed exactly what
> > you're talking about, Alex however my "Novell-ised" version of OO.o on
> > suse doesn't have the wizard as talked about. Instead I found that there
> > is no _official_ "en-AU" dictionary (maybe I can't be too adamant about
> > that because someone may disagree) and you get it from a 3rd party
> > maintainer. Certainly, when I search language packs it only lists
> > "en-US" and "en-GB" - no others. Info about the AU dictionary is given
> > on the OO.o wiki:
> > <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries#English_.28AU.2CCA.2CGB.2CNZ.2CUS.2CZA.29>
> > and points to the dictionary maintainer's page here:
> > <http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oooau/>
> > his page also includes specific instructions for installing on XP
> > (Johnathon to note). Also given are Aussie place names, Aussie
> > thesaurus, etc.
> >
> No I use OO on Linux and W98 installations in the office. Same
> procedure for both.
>
> You have to download the en-au dictionary from the OO site, this is
> part of the wizard.
>
> Every time I upgrade OO I have to go through the same procedure.
>
> Alex
Home!