[plug] SAN Advice

Adrian Woodley Adrian at ScreamingRoot.org
Fri Nov 16 11:21:33 WST 2007

I have to disagree with you here - FC will _always_ beat NFS for speed.
And iSCSI isn't even worth considering.

FC headers are 24bytes long. Thats it.

NFS involves many more layers, each with their own frame header, which
reduces the data:header efficiency:

NFS (???bytes) + TCP (20bytes) + IP (20bytes) + Ethernet (14bytes) +
checksum (4bytes) = 58bytes

FC HBAs are hardware accelerated, taking much of the load off the CPU.
NFS relies on the system to negotiate almost every layer in the stack.

To get the same through-put as FC, you'll be spending $$$ on top-shelf
hardware (accelerated NICs, stupidly fast switches, etc). Much more than
you'd spend on a comparable FC system.

Thats all assuming you'd max-out any available bandwidth. If you're
access requirements are more modest, then you can get away with NFS (or
even iSCSI *shudder*)

I will concede that NFS is easier to implement and potentially more
flexible. However with the advent of clustered filesystems such as GFS
and Lustre, multiple hosts accessing the same filesystem at the block
layer is being much easier.

Adrian